When it comes to early childhood education, we know you want to choose the best possible preschool for your child. Touring preschools can be overwhelming, and sometimes it’s hard to know what to look for exactly or what questions to ask to make sure the school is the best fit for your family. To help you make a confident choice, we’re sharing some questions to ask before and during your preschool tour.
Know What You Need in a Raleigh Preschool
Before you start making calls and scoping out websites, first, it’s necessary to know exactly what you want for your child. List your “non-negotiables” which should include anything you absolutely can not waver from. This can be anything from center hours that have to align with your work schedule to whether you want a religious or secular-based program. While you don’t want to have so many non-negotiables that it’s impossible to find a center to meet your criteria, it’s important to be mindful of what you are unwilling to compromise on.
Questions to Ask Before Your Tour a Preschool
Once you know what you’re looking for in a school for your child, start looking at websites and calling preschools that stand out to you. While you may want to go ahead and schedule tours, you should nail down logistics first. This way you won’t waste time touring a center that is too far away or doesn’t offer hours you need. Some information you’ll want to get on the phone or in an email includes:
- Meals and snacks
- Is potty training required for the class level your child would be in?
Questions for Your Preschool Tour
Once you’ve found a preschool (or several) to tour, having questions on hand to ask and taking notes can help you keep the information you learn fresh in your mind and ensures you remember things to look for and ask about. Consider these questions as you meet with the director:
Policy and Culture
- Is the education play-based or academic based?
- What kind of educational philosophy is used?
- What type of discipline and conflict resolution do teachers utilize?
- What security measures are in place?
- How do they communicate with parents?
- Can parents come in to observe or visit?
- How long has the preschool been open?
- How long has the director been in place?
Teacher and Staff Information
- What is the child/teacher ratio?
- What education requirements do the teachers and aides have?
- What is the turnover rate (low turnover means that teachers and staff are invested in the kids)?
Education and Curriculum
- What kind of preschool curriculum is used?
- How much, if any, screen time is used?
- Do children get outdoor play time?
- What does a typical day look like?
- How do you set goals for children?
These are just a sample of questions that can give you a good look at the quality of child care a center provides and not only if it’s a high-quality preschool but, just as important, if it’s the right preschool for your child.
Contact Our Raleigh Preschool Today!
If you’re seeking a preschool in North Raleigh that offers a caring, compassionate environment along with a fun, play-based learning environment, reach out to our 5-star preschool today! Contact our Spring Forest Rd school at 919-790-6888 or North Hills Drive at 919-785-0303 today or fill out the form below to get started!