Physical activity is an important part of your daily routine, and it’s just as important for your preschooler to get physical activity every day. Whether they play on the playground, playing sports, or riding their bike, being active provides a lot of benefits for your toddler. Make an effort to keep your kids active all year round, even when it’s cold outside.
Benefits of Physical Activity
- Build muscle and strengthen bones
- Helps maintain a healthy weight and prevent childhood obesity
- Helps prevent type 2 diabetes
- Healthier heart and lungs
- Helps improve concentration
- Helps with better sleep
- Development of skills including motor skills and social skills
- Promotes a healthy lifestyle
You can promote your preschoolers to be active by doing things together; taking them to the playground, playing in the back yard, throwing a ball around, or riding bikes. Even in the winter months when it’s cold outside, you can still find activities to get outdoors and get moving
If weather conditions won’t allow you to get outside, turn off the TV and find ways to be active in the house. Dance around, play hide-and-seek inside, or try going to an indoor swimming pool.
Regardless, promoting physical activity goes a long way. Try out different activities and find your favorites and make them part of your routine.