With The Fourth of July right around the corner, you’re probably wondering what red, white, and blue goodies you should be serving this year. In any case, most holidays are more celebratory with themed food! Fortunately, we have a few simple and yummy Fourth of July dishes that you can serve at your own party or take to someone else’s. Better yet, your little helpers can get in on the fun too. Here are three quick and easy Fourth of July snacks to make with your kids.
Red, White, and Blue Strawberries
Who doesn’t love strawberries? And who doesn’t love them dipped in super-sweet chocolate? If you or your kids are strawberry-lovers, here is an incredibly easy recipe to make with your kids.
- Washed and dried strawberries
- White chocolate
- Blue sugar or sprinkles
- Place either blue sugar, sprinkles, or glitter in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl melt white chocolate in a microwave for only two minutes, then stir until cool. Continue to microwave the chocolate in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Stir in between each interval.
- Dip the lower two-thirds of the strawberries into the melted white chocolate.
- Dip the lower third of the strawberries into the blue sugar, glitter, or sprinkles.
- Place strawberries on wax paper and let sit until cool.
- Enjoy your red, white, and blue strawberries!
Everyone loves popcorn; and, everyone loves candy. Blend them together to create one of the most delicious and patriotic dishes ever! It’s a party in a bowl! You’ll be surprised at how simple this recipe is.
- 10 cups of popped popcorn
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 3 cups of mini marshmallows
- Regular-sized red and blue M&M’s
- Red and blue pretzel M&M’s
- (optional) red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Pop approximately 10 cups of popcorn, either in the microwave or on the stove. Make sure to get rid of all the un-popped or burnt kernels!
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. When the butter is fully melted, add in 3 cups of mini marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are completely melted. Turn off the heat when everything is melted and mixed together.
- Pour the butter mixture over the popcorn, until popcorn is mostly covered. Then, stir the popcorn and marshmallow mixture together. You can also add more of the marshmallow mixture depending on how sweet or sticky you want the popcorn to be.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and pour the popcorn onto the cookie sheet. Drizzle a little more marshmallow mixture over the popcorn.
- While the marshmallow mixture is still warm and sticky, mix in the regular and pretzel M&M’s, and finish by topping it with some sprinkles. You can also add more marshmallows for a final finish!
- Allow your Patriotic Popcorn to cool before serving.
Fourth of July Toast
This recipe is not only a healthy option but requires no cooking or baking at all! Just set out the ingredients, and let your kids decorate their “flag.”
- A slice of bread
- 1 banana, sliced into half circles
- 1 cup of blueberries
- Strawberry jam
- Cream Cheese
- Briefly toast slices of bread, then, spread your desired amount of cream cheese over the bread. On just the upper left quarter, spread strawberry jam over the cream cheese to make a small square.
- On top of just the strawberry jelly, make 3 or 4 rows of blueberries to create the “stars” of the flag.
- On the cream cheese, make 3 rows of the half-circle bananas starting beside the middle row of the blueberries. This will make the “stripes” of the flag!