We hear songs, melodies and instruments all around us – from the radio, to movies, to riding in an elevator. And it’s not just adults who are taking it all in, but children too!
5 Ways Preschoolers Benefit From Music
Music helps preschoolers develop mentally, physically, and socially – helping the brain make the connections needed for almost every kind of intelligence. Musical benefits include:
- Boosts Brain Power: Music gives children a mental boost, stimulating parts of the brain related to reading, math and emotional development. Music specialist Meredith LeVande says, “More and more studies show a correlation between higher academic achievement with children who are exposed to music.”
- Improves Memory: In addition to boosting brain power, music also helps to improve a child’s memory. “Further research has shown that participation in music at an early age can help improve a child’s learning ability and memory by stimulating different patterns of brain development,” says Maestro Eduardo Marturet.
- Increases Confidence: Musical education has been known to increase confidence among children. Their confidence grows as they learn to play instruments, sing songs, and get encouragement from teachers and parents.
- Fosters Creativity: Music allows children to creatively express themselves. Whether they’re making up their own lyrics, melody, or instruments, preschoolers are exploring their creative mind – which is good for their mind, body and soul.
- Creates Social Skills: Children are able to develop socially through music. They work within a group or ensemble to learn how to work together, develop leadership skills, and how to relate to others.
Music Education Rocks!
Music plays an important role in our society – and it’s no different for children. You can help your preschooler benefit from music even more by incorporating these techniques into their development:
- Learn to Play an Instrument
- Write Songs
- Listen to Music
- Watch Musicals
- Sing Along to the Radio
What other ways can you include music in your everyday routine? Let us know on our Facebook page!
Primary Beginnings is a 5-Star rated Raleigh preschool and child development center. We have two locations in Raleigh – North Hills and Spring Forest. Contact us today to set up a tour and learn more about our curriculum and availability!